Sunday, September 30, 2007

Thunderdown (No Pun Intended) 6hr

Friday, weather called for only a 10% chance of storms. Saturday was the same. Again meteorologists were wrong as usual and I started the 6 hour solo event in the underdown forest. These guys spent a ton of time out there making some of the best singletrack I have ridden this season, but unfourtunately the rains came in.

At 1 pm I got off the start and rode strong on leadout keep 1st and 2nd within my sights and I noticed that one of the two were struggling on the climbs even as early as the first lap which played to my advantage considering that I pride my riding based on my ability to climb. Most of the course some 80-90% was of the singletrack variety which made things a struggle at times during the rains but nothing that I couldn't handle. So I came through on my first lap grabbed a bottle and went straight through passing for 2nd. The 2nd lap brought a light rain in which wasn't falling hard yet cause of the thickness of the forest I was able to get two clean laps in before it got serious. I continued on laps 3 and 4 with quick stops for bottles and hammergel only and I felt like I was riding out there alone and for the most part I was because most have thrown in the towel and called it a day, but I along with some of the 12 solo guys were still out there. On my 5th and final lap I was having some vision problems, but kept on pedaling and eventually caught the 1st rider and gapping him by a couple of minutes to take the win and the free growler fill at Hereford and Hopps I think the Oktoberfest may be the brew of choice for this one. I have gotta thanks the guys at Turner Bikes again for giving me a bike that outlasts any condition that mother nature can throw at it and propel me to yet another win this season.

Sheboygan next weekend and I will following up that race with a visit to Lambeau field to witness a stomping of the Bears via Favre and the Packers. Have a good week.

No comments: