Wednesday, January 6, 2010

10 Notes for 2010: Part 1

A list of sorts. What I want to do, what not to do, plus any goals I have. Really, and I've said this about a million times, 2009 was an epic failure. This past year I experienced and made many changes, but really I did learn a lot and grew as a better person and will hopefully translate to a better racer, which leads me to note number ONE.

1. Mono and Bronchitis is not an effective training tool if after 6 months you still feel tired from walking a flight of steps or can't have a month without getting sick, do not get stubborn and think it's just a little bug. I will be sure to keep tabs on my health for I am not invincible.

2. Race and train like I mean it and smile so much in the process it hurts. This sport can burn you out if you view it like a job and that can be easily said for those that simply stick to WORS. Now take that time and dedication and bump it up to a rider that does all of these 12 hour and above races. It's not a matter of "if" you burn out, it's a matter of "when". I have made the executive mental decision that if I can maintain a smile throughout and enjoy the backdrop in which I am blessed to ride in, I would be selfish for not enjoying it and therefore not have that burn out phase. My though is if I can ride happy I can ride more. If I ride more I hope I could become competitive once again. Simple math people! Well at least I hope it's simple math anyway.

3. I hope to have trails completed in Bradley Park by the time the leaves start to fall. The approval process and working with the city has been smooth so far, but it is like I mentioned above in that it is a process and like all processes they take a while to complete. From there it's adding snowshoe and xc ski trails on a smaller loop. Goal from there is to maybe have a cyclocross race or trail run event.

4. Support the sport, local shops, and greatful sponsors. I've been lucky enough to find my way into this sport. I can pinpoint the day, time, and even weather of the day I decided I was going to race bikes. A lot of people along the way helped me in various different ways from Scoots introducing me to singletrack at Alpine Valley to Bryan at Evomo hosting me at the Sea Otter. Without the state series like WORS, WEMS, and organizations like WORBA these trails may not even exist. Sites like fattireguides, xxc magazine, and MTB Racenews give us, Wisconsin, a pulse on the national scene. Companies like Redeye Brewing Company, Sprocketz Bike Shop in Weston, EVOMO, are all run by cycling enthusiasts and they pull no punches on supporting the industry and it's population of riders.
My sponsors make all of this racing stuff possible and in return I try to broadcast their message to as many people that care to listen and in short to all of the great support, thanks!

5. Preparing for future endeavours and putting to rest my internal thoughts that the tour divide can't be done. This will be the start of a long process to learning the fine art of bikepacking and self supported ultra long distance rides. Chris Plesko got me very intrigued with his stories about his journey along the continental divide. I don't know when and for what year I will send my letter of intent, but the preparation begins now.

Really, since the week of November 1st I haven't taken a complete week off and got back into the gym this year.  I think it's going to be a fantastic year.

2 comments:

Mad Trix said...

#2, I did the entire WORS series and the majority of the WEMS 12's and 24-9 solo. Pretty ambitious goal and I was "burnt out" not once but twice last year. The ONLY thing that kept me in the game was the fellowship of all of our co-racers. Keep smiling and don't isolate. See you out there his year Justin!

Jlundo said...

Thanks Mark, I look forward to seeing you along with the rest of the crazy wems/wors crew again.