Saturday, November 13, 2010

RAD Things Done on a Bike List


(Note: If you don't make the list this year just remember even Cru Jones got his shot)

This list is dedicated to those who have done RAD stuff with or on bikes.  It can be shop owners, industry gurus, riders bouncing back and those who have simply kicked some ass at some point this year In no particular order.  

Dan Schuester - Boy oh boy what can you say about Dan that hasn't already been said.  Inpirational was the first word to came to my mind.  This guy would be the last I would expect to suffer from a stroke of this magnitude and on top of that the recovery process and the ability to get on a mountain bike and ride trails of nine mile again seemed like the Mt. Everest of rehab.  I had mixed feelings about the whole thing.  I first thought he'll be fine and on the bike again by opening day and really underestimated what had taken place.  Another side of me thought about my fitness and how if it can happen to a guy as fit as Dan it can happen to me to and to appreciate the time I have to spend with my friends on the bike and my family at home. Finally, knowing and seeing how determined he was to get back on the bike again made me realize how anything can be possible and before long he was back on the bike out at nine mile turning the cranks out of trail #8.

Tim Wissbroecker - What can I say about this guy.  Flash back to July.  He gets hit by a car and they speed off, he is basically left for dead.  Shattered bones, busted up bike, and oh the pain he and his family would go through.  He would, however, come back in ways that would rival a story like Rocky and is now on his bright red Felt getting ready for Ironman Wisconsin 2011.  Welcome back to race buddy!

John "Nacho" Nowaczyk and Sprocketz Bike Shop - We all know the last two years have been rough.  Companies going bankrupt, ponzi schemes depleting our wealth and trust on Wall Street, people losing their jobs for reasons out of their control.  John here was no different.  Not only did he lose his job but lost it on his birthday.  Did he cry about it?  Hell no!!! He instead gave the City of Weston something it needed for the longest time and that was a bike shop.  In February Sprocketz Bike Shop was born and has the backing of a proud city and a large cycling community.  Sounds like something out of a storybook or made for T.V. movie.

Chris Peariso - One of the nicest guys on the circuit and is a great rep for the Adventure 212 team, but this guy will destroy you and leave you crying for mommy at an MTB race of any distance.  He was known for primarily rocking the WORS series year after year, posting finishes as consistent as lance while he won his 7 tours, but it so turns out he can be found putting the hurt on the field at some stage races and 100 milers alike.  Most recently the NUE Series Cohutta 100. 

Ben Koenig - 4th at 24 Hours of Moab.  He came back to Moab proving that his 3rd place finish last year was by no means a fluke.  This guy pushes the limits of himself and his equipment every time he toes the line.  I remember riding with him this summer and to keep up with him I am bouncing off of trees, going over my bars, he's washing out in the sand.  I learned a couple of things that day riding with him.

Tim Buffington - 1st Place SS at 12 Hours of Underdown.  I have never heard of this guy till toeing the line with him at Underdown.  I was charging trying to get myself a RedEye jersey when I look back and he was there and breathing harder than any racer I've ever heard and cranking his Singlespeed like he had the ghost of Bill Underdown chasing him with an axe.  I didn't know whether or not he was going to make it that lap or the remaining laps, but he sure as hell did and was close to his fellow DBD brotherin Tim Ek who also deserves mention for winning that race.

Tristan Schouten - Made waves early on at the Subaru Cup Pro XCT and never looked back winning the WORS overall and crankin out top 5's in the USGP of Cyclocross (one race even had a pushup wager on the line)

Brian Matter - Iceman!!!!! He not only won it, but destroyed a field littered with Olympians, National Champs and the best of the Midwest.  I may be a little biased seeing as though he was the person responsible for Salsa in my basement.  I am hoping he left a little bit of his expertise on that bike so I can go faster next year.  Well done and bravo...please win the situp bet on day 2 of Ft. Collins.

Chris Schotz - Underdown.....What else can I say, this trail system has such a grassroots feeling yet up to today's standards in sustainability.  I would brag more about these trails but frankly I want to selfishly keep them to myself.

Josey Weik - This 13 year old is racing with the big boys and is no stranger to the podium regardless of where he goes mtb or cross, mud or snow, 30 or 100 degrees.  Watch out for this kid.

Danielle Musto - Dominance is what I use to describe her performance at Wausau24.  She crushed the womens field and when that was done she took a shark sized bite out of the mens as well.  I was lucky enough to ride with her for a few laps and was simply amazed, but not shocked at how well she rode.  She has also posted some ridiculous results on her singlespeed and like me rides the red hot Salsa Mamasita.

Scott Cole - Cheqfat, need I say more.  For the record I will not make that challenge to him for that race EVER again.  He flat out throttled that race in a very impressive way.  He goes on this list every year as he is certainly the endurance rider I look up to.  Good work (I still owe a blizzard by the way)

So that's it....so far.....If you have an item you would like to add email me at mtbkr81(at)gmail  okay....great

Till We Meet Again,
GET SOME!


No comments: