Sunday, March 8, 2020

Weekly Wrap 1

 Smiling happy people blah blah blah....or squinting....put the damn glasses on.   I was just happy to crush my long run today.  This week was strange.  My hr on my easy runs seemed off a bit and even during parts of my workouts but then today boom it was about right considering the windy conditions and the hills.

A key workout this week early on was my favorite early season run.  4x1100 with 2 minute walk rest.  You start with an aerobic but “spirited” 800m and then kick for the last 300.  Felt solid but the heartrate didn’t seem to be right, but my guess is this could have been legit since I really haven’t logged mileage outdoors since December so there were more stressors if that’s even a word to account for like wind, incline, footing when encountering ice and snow in shaded areas so I just put it behind me.

My goal for the week was 36 miles in which was a 10% increase from last week and that is the plan of attack for the first 6 weeks of this long base phase.  Next week I should be around 40, but it will be a bit of a challenge with the St. Fennesy 4K up in Duluth/Hermantown Minnesota.  The family is coming up there with me in order to hang out with my cousin and her family so we’ll run and have a great weekend afterwards. 


Long Run this week was about pushing that qualifier pace for Boston and I am hoping to break 3 hours right out of the gate.  Now granted my mile says I’m capable of more like a 2:45 based on my 5:00 at UWSP indoor in January, but I don’t quite have the capacity to hold that pace of 6:17 for more than a few miles without my heart rate moving past threshold so I will be working on it in hopes I get there but at least get to the point where I can get my BQ pace of 6:51-7:13 (7:03 will prevent getting cutoff). Today I tried out some 2xu mcs run compression shorts and I was hesitant about being too tight in my hip flexors and causing me to shuffle but they were light and comfy plus zero chaffing over 9 miles so that’s nice and plus I felt amazing... I wanted to push it but thought better of it...there will be days for that coming up just get comfortable at qualifier pace today and that I did....will need to work on fueling I can see already, but once I get to 10+ miles I will press it more.


Weights for dates lol.  Two lift days and multiple days of band work plus a day of core.  Lower body I did 3x12 of Backsquat, leg press, calf raise, banded pistols, weighted lunges, kettlebell swings and I think that was it lol.
Arm/upper body day was about the same for bench press, delts, lats, triceps, biceps, face pulls, and shoulder press. My dips and pull-ups are getting a bump up this week with 10 reps then 3x11 and next week it goes up to 4x11
Core was standard 10 minutes of work with 225 reps of crunches with variations throughout.  Hip bridges planks and leg lifts back extensions some toes to bar rounded that out yeah in 10 minutes just ask my wife “be home in 10 minutes”  and I roll in 20 minutes later ughhhh 
Band work has been a point of emphasis to strengthen my hips and joints in my lower body and legs. This week I did various movements with 75 reps on each leg with the xxheavy band.  

Wooooo that’s a lot of info....have a good week and if you have any questions about my training let me know.

No comments: