Friday, March 6, 2020

The Beginning of a New Journey...Well Sort Of...


Week by week mile by mile here is how this is all going to go down.

I always wanted to be able to have the capacity to fully train the way I would want in order to qualify for something as huge as the Boston Marathon, but a lot of things self induced usually put a stop to it.  I had a major ankle setback after my PR 1/2 marathon at Journeys (1:19:07).  My whole right side seemed to give up on me at one point as it turned out my pelvis was pretty out of balance which required a lot of adjustments and even some shims in my shoes to get a normal gait.  The hip issue cause many other issues down the road till things began to line up.

I chased some pretty lofty goals in the past few years. Wanted to go 4:30 in the mile and break 16 in the 5k and who knows I may still do it but that is not the focus as of right now.

My focus is solely on getting that Boston Qualifier (BQ). I will be turning 40 prior to the 2021 race and that time qualifier is 3:10:00.  Now because of the amount of entrants in that age group I will need to run faster in order to have a better shot at getting in.  My goal is to get 3:00-3:05 or about 6:51-7:03 per mile.  Now in theory I should have no problem with this as most of my any run even some easy heart rate based runs have been in that range pace wise, but here is the kicker, I don’t think I’ve ever run farther than 15 miles but I have done a lot of my long runs at well under 7 minute pace so this should be no sweat....Yeah I laughed to.  If you go back through the blog there’s a long streak of endurance races I’ve been lucky to do well in but my training hasn’t always been the smartest.  I’ve been too much in that danger zone where I just wear myself out and get nagging injuries go figure.  I had to learn a a lot about training properly and have it beaten into my head repeatedly (mostly by Dennis Welch) as I’ve been coaching and trying to apply those lessons to my past experience going forward, I feel really good about my approach to this very long training cycle.  If I do this right this will be the most consistent cycle I’ve ever done and that’s saying something considering that there was a couple of weeks in my last two blocks that went a little stray due to sickness.

So with all that said I want to share this journey with you all.  Weekly from now till race week (Minneapolis Marathon is 10/4) I will share my week.  Hope you enjoy.  Meanwhile, take a look at some older posts can be kind of amusing....Hahahaha!

No comments: